Official Site of the NBA »

Monday, June 25, 2007

A Break From the History Lesson...


I thought I'd take a break from the history lesson today, and tell you about what is perhaps my most favorite movie. The hit musical, 1776.

Although at first, it's surprising to see a musical about the writing of the Declaration of Independence, the viewer is soon caught up in the politics and emotions of this important American event. It should be watched more than once, because it can be appreciated on several different levels. There are some of the biggest laughs, some of the most poignant moments, and the sweetest love songs you'll see in movies. Much of the dialog is taken straight from the documented letters and conversations of the principal characters, and we get to see them as real people with real worries and real feelings, rather than as the marble statues seen in the history books. This is definitely a must-see movie (and stage play, if you get the chance), and one you won't forget.

3 comments:

Coop said...

Are you actually gonna post about life or just history on this blog? Lol!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I have seen this movie! Actually, you are the one that told me about it. I had seen it in the library, but never gotten it, thinking it would be like, George Washington singing and dancing around. I was wrong though....It was Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson, and John Adams :P
But it was alright.There definitely were some big laughs and poignant moments, but I may have to disagree on the fact that those are the sweetest love songs that I will see in movies. I have seen some sweet ones! Lol! Maybe I just need to watch it again......

matt bradbury said...

u no, i acually like that movie...